Aug 18, 2021
We are replaying one of our
most popular episodes for you this week!
Amy Hudson and Brian Cygan reveal the truth behind the fitness
industry and why you don’t need to spend hours at the gym every
week in order to stay fit and healthy. Learn the science behind the
20-minute workout and how you can achieve optimal health benefits
by doing the right workout, for the right length of time, just
twice a week.
- Is 20 minutes long enough to have a great workout? Simply put,
- The training at the Exercise Coach is targeting the root cause
of usual aging which is the age-related loss of muscle mass, also
known as sarcopenia.
- Research shows that sarcopenia is a function of the loss of and
weakening of fast-twitch muscle fibers. Loss of fast-twitch muscle
fibers directly correlates to a weakening metabolism, weaker bones,
less energy, and worse health as we age.
- In order to reverse the usual aging process and restore muscle
mass you need to do exercises that are focused on building
fast-twitch muscle fibers. This means the exercise needs to be
intense enough to recruit those muscle fibers.
- The ideal exercise to target those muscle fibers is
science-based strength training.
- When we work our muscles in exactly the right manner to
actually use our fast-twitch muscle fibers, it’s intense and
therefore needs to be brief. That’s why the workout at The Exercise
Coach is only 20 minutes.
- The 20-minute workout is not the bare minimum you can get away
with, it’s actually the specific length of time you need to
optimally recruit, stimulate, and fatigue the right muscle
- One researcher looked at a number of studies on exercise
programs and concluded that all that was necessary to get the
majority of the benefits that people want from a health and fitness
standpoint was to perform a strength training workout for about 20
mins no more than twice per week.
- The best workout with the most health benefits is the one that
is necessarily brief. The higher the intensity of the workout, the
less time you need to spend doing that workout.
- No amount of exercise, in volume or minutes, can bring about
the most important results from a fitness endeavor that people are
after. The key is to work at the right intensity level and engage
the fast-twitch muscle fibers to reverse the aging process and
restore optimal health and fitness.
This podcast and blog are provided to you for entertainment and
informational purposes only. By accessing either, you agree that
neither constitute medical advice nor should they be substituted
for professional medical advice or care. Use of this podcast or
blog to treat any medical condition is strictly prohibited. Consult
your physician for any medical condition you may be having. In no
event will any podcast or blog hosts, guests, or contributors,
Exercise Coach USA, LLC, Gymbot LLC, any subsidiaries or affiliates
of same, or any of their respective directors, officers, employees,
or agents, be responsible for any injury, loss, or damage to you or
others due to any podcast or blog content.