Nov 17, 2020
Brian Cygan and Amy Hudson reveal the origin story of the
Exercise Coach and the one book that completely changed the
trajectory of Brian’s life by transforming his understanding of
what strength training can do in your life and how quickly you can
see results. Find out how the Exercise Coach is changing lives 20
minutes at a time.
- The goal of the Strength Changes Everything podcast is to
inspire and empower people to live life at their full physical
potential. Simply put: strength changes everything.
- Effective personal strength training fundamentally changes
everything about your body for the better. It also changes the
requirements to get all of the health and fitness results that
matter most to you.
- If you want to look better and feel better then this podcast is
for you, especially if you’re over 40 and started experiencing the
effects of the aging process, even if you’re not excited or
interested in going to the gym.
- Brian is also going to discuss the Exercise Coach which is the
application of the principles that flow out of the Strength Changes
- Brian has been in the fitness industry for the past 20 years
and in the process has become pretty passionate about a few things,
mainly the science and business of fitness and getting the value of
fitness knowledge into the world.
- As a former athlete, Brian became very interested in the
science of strength training which led to him going to school for
- The classical science aspects of his degree made sense to
Brian, but his education left him with a lot of questions on the
application of strength training.
- On the last day of his schooling, a classmate gave Brian a book
to read called A Rational Approach to Strength Training, and just
by reading the first few chapters, it transformed Brian’s
understanding of exercise.
- Brian learned an approach to exercise that was very different
from the approach that he had been exposed to in school or as an
athlete. The new approach can be summed up in three things: the
science says that exercise should be brief, intense, and
- Brian tells the story of how he worked with a basketball player
and helped him put on over 20 pounds of muscle over the course of
12 weeks while only exercising once a week for 20 minutes to get
- Brian’s newfound approach caused a bit of conflict with the
department he was working in and eventually, Brian decided to leave
to find somewhere else he could apply those principles. He found a
fitness studio that specialized in the application of those
principles and after working there for a year found that he was
extremely passionate about helping people of all ages and fitness
- That was also around the time that Brian discovered his
entrepreneurial spirit and when he and his wife co-founded a
business called the Exercise Coach.
- Brian partnered up with another company called Exerbotics to
launch the franchise. The technology they provided allowed them to
standardize the approach and customize the plan more deeply for
anyone that wanted to participate.
- Brian now has hundreds of locations of the Exercise Coach all
over the country with plans to open more over the coming
- Amy’s story started off by being introduced to Brian many years
ago in the Chicago area. She had recently given birth to her second
child and was trying to get back to her pre-baby weight and found
herself spending hours each week exercising in the only way that
she knew which were long runs.
- Brian invited Amy and her husband to try out the Exercise Coach
program and within six months, she noticed an incredible shift in
her body composition. For the first time in her life, she felt
athletic and capable.
- At the same time, they learned about the nutrition aspects of
fitness and started making healthier choices. She got so excited
about healthy eating that Amy started a blog on the topic.
- Once Amy started learning about the profound health and
longevity benefits of strength training she realized that it’s
truly a transformative thing and can change the trajectory of
someone’s health for their lifetime.
- Right before the birth of her third daughter Amy and her
husband moved to Minneapolis and decided to open their own Exercise
- The first five episodes of the podcast are meant to be the
foundational overview of the Strength Changes Everything
- We’re going to cover why not all exercise is the same, why
people aren’t exercising and the obstacles people face in their
fitness journey, the scientific paradigm that underlies the
philosophy, the problem of people’s loss of health and fitness and
they age, and what can be accomplished by a 20-minute workout once
This podcast and blog are provided to you for entertainment and
informational purposes only. By accessing either, you agree that
neither constitute medical advice nor should they be substituted
for professional medical advice or care. Use of this podcast or
blog to treat any medical condition is strictly prohibited. Consult
your physician for any medical condition you may be having. In no
event will any podcast or blog hosts, guests, or contributors,
Exercise Coach USA, LLC, Gymbot LLC, any subsidiaries or affiliates
of same, or any of their respective directors, officers, employees,
or agents, be responsible for any injury, loss, or damage to you or
others due to any podcast or blog content.